2. Take a ghost and graveyard tour in Old Town Alexandria!
3. Attend an Oktoberfest!
4. Make a grape escape to Virginia Wine Country! Pack your own breads and cheeses, or pick up local farm offerings at Delaplane Cellars for a perfect day of sitting and sipping at the foot of the Blue Ridge Mountains.
5. Grab a hot cider and take a hayride through a pumpkin patch! Every weekend in October, Larriland Farms in Woodbine, Md., serves apple fritters straight from the fryer and pumpkins for your picking still on the vine.
6. Cheer on the runners in the 37th Annual Marine Corps Marathon on October 28!
7. Travel to Baltimore to dine under the stars at Woodberry Kitchen. This Charm City restaurant made Washingtonian magazine’s Top 100 list and offers rustic ambiance with farm-to-table fare worth the drive from the District. Enjoy an after-dinner drink by the giant fire pit!
8. Track the changing leaves with the National Park Service’s Mountain View Webcam and plan a hike!