Air Force plans Windows 10 upgrade by 2018
August 24, 2016
Originally, DOD had planned to complete the departmentwide transition by early 2017.
David Stegon was a staff reporter for FedScoop and StateScoop from 2011-2014.
Office of Personnel Management Director John Berry apologized today for the early failings of USAJobs 3.0 following its transition to a new system last month, but believes the site has made tremendous progress in the past week.
“I am not here to declare success, pop the champagne and say this is done” Berry said in a conference call with reporters. “I am here to say that I believe we’ve turned the corner.”
Berry said the site, which transitioned from Monster.com over Columbus Day weekend, experienced capacity issues while migrating more than 22 million resumes and 17 million user accounts from the legacy system.
In the early days after the relaunch, the site was running between 80 and 100 percent of capacity, he said.
“We got overwhelmed,” he said.
To fix the problem, OPM has added more servers, along with another line entry. The agency also contracted with vendor Akamai to compress the data in such a way that it can be better handled. Since then, Berry said, the system has been running between 15 to 20 percent capacity with less service interruptions.
He added that the site has been handling 700,000 hits per day and more than 570,000 resumes have been filed since the site was relaunched. In order to not hurt job seekers, Berry said that OPM asked all agencies to extend their job listings to give people appropriate time to apply even with the service interruptions.
“With any software that you launch of this magnitude there will be bugs and glitches,” Berry said. “You just have to have a great team and essentially our team was doing a good job when we needed a great job.”
[audio:http://s3.amazonaws.com/fedscoop-media/uploads/2011_11_USAJobs-3.0-Update.mp3|titles=USAJobs 3.0 Update]