'National emergency': Cyber attackers face new sanctions
April 01, 2015
A new executive order freezes the assets of foreign hackers believed to be involved in attacks against U.S. infrastructure and blocks their entry into the country.
David Stegon was a staff reporter for FedScoop and StateScoop from 2011-2014.
Federal Communications Commission Chief Information Officer Robert Naylor will leave the agency after the new year for a job in the private sector.
Naylor has served as the FCC CIO since June of 2011 and will leave January 4 to become the CIO and equity partner for a cybersecurity firm that specializes in assisting the intelligence community.
Naylor has a long history of working in both government and private sector. He was formally the CIO at the Small Business Administration where he also served as co-chair of the Information Technology Workforce Committee. He also took part in the International Data Policy Workgroup and Ideation Workgroup within the White House Office of Science, Technology and Innovation.
He also served as the regional information technology director (Northeast and Great Lakes Region) for President Obama during his 2008 campaign and has industry experience with Personic Software, CDI Corporation, Keystone Natural Water and Peoples Bank, among others.
Naylor has also run his own professional services small business, Bay Breeze Technology Center, since 1999. Customers include Wal-Mart, Nortel Networks, Owens Corning, Manpower, Walt Disney Studios, Lilly Pharmaceutical, Sanofi-Aventis Pharmaceutical, Novell, Wells Fargo Bank, Los Alamos Labs, University of Maryland, Cigna and Blue Cross/Blue Shield.
The FCC posted an opening for Naylor’s replacement on USAjobs on Monday. The job pays between $119,554 and $177,500 per year and is open for applications until January 3.
Serves as senior advisor to the Managing Director, Chairman and Commission on matters pertaining to the Information Technology Center (Office of the Chief Information Officer), information systems and technology and related programs.
- Consults with and advises Bureau and Office heads on information management and technology.
- Advises on the direction and development of the FCC's IT strategy, management of IT investments, and leadership for key technology initiatives.
- Develops, implements and oversees integrated policies, objectives and programs to effectively and efficiently plan for, manage and control the Commission's information technology, resources and related programs. This includes managing the long range planning and budgeting process to ensure both cost-effectiveness and alignment with the IT strategic plan and the FCC's goals; reviewing and approving proposed IT acquisitions; and conducting reviews of systems and technologies to assure conformance with FCC standards. Organizing high performance, agile technology teams to support mission and daily activities of FCC.
- Develop and allocate appropriately skilled technology teams to support both legacy systems and new initiatives and needs to adjust to rapid changes in technology. Keep the FCC near the cutting edge of effective, cost-saving and productivity increasing tools and be able to flexible enough to rapidly adjust to new FCC or Congressional initiatives to deliver working product.
- Ensures the highest level of customer service. Monitors and evaluates customer feedback to identify areas for improvement in the delivery of services and in the performance of core systems. Creating an environment of technological, engineering, and consumer experience excellence.
- Recruit, develop, and nurture world-class technological, engineering, and customer experience from government and private sector excellence. We seek a work environment and IT work force that attracts talent and is recognized for innovation and contributions to the communications field.
- Continuously improving contracting efficiency, timeliness, transparency, and monitoring.
- Moving from reports to real-time dashboards and analytics.
- Developing forward-thinking IT policy and governance and that compatible with an inter-connected, web-centric and federal compliance requirements. Liaison with Federal CIO and CTO, other governmental authorities, and industry on infrastructure and policy matters for information management. as interface between agency and broader federal technology investment policy and requirements.
- Interact with Administration Federal CIO, CIO Council, and Federal Chief Technology Officer to make FCC part of larger information management reforms.
- Insure FCC is addressed Federal requirements for: -Insuring continuation of operations and disaster recovery. -Modernizing and virtualizing agency technology infrastructure. - Providing a robust, platform infrastructure offering a "services cloud" for Agency, Bureaus and Offices, individuals and groups directly requisition, configure, customize, and use technology as they might with credit cards from cloud-bases services on the web.
- Create a platform that facilitates innovation and asset sharing among individuals and groups.
- Establishing and managing technology teams to oversee equipment, software and configuration, desktop support, connectivity, virtualized data center, major applications, contracting/purchasing assistance, compliance.
- Accreditation and Compliance and accreditation and compliance automation.
- Manage and improve the process of maintaining compliance with a broad range of federal statutes and rules.
- Examine and pursue automation and new efficiencies to streamline the process.
- Supporting initiatives and daily activities of Agency, Bureaus, and Offices.
- Creating a model of excellence for distributing technological expertise and use of technology smoothly with the activities of the Agency and individual units. Assist in creating multi-year budgeting and investment plans.
- Successfully communicating plans and their values to agency management, Bureaus and Offices, staff and vendors. Design and help implement multi-year contract vehicles and aggregation of purchasing and contracting without overly centralizing contract management.