New deputy director at Army’s RDECOM
Barbara Machak is the new acting deputy director of the U.S. Army Research, Development and Engineering Command at the Aberdeen Proving Ground in Maryland.
She replaces Joe Wienand who is returning to the Edgewood Chemical Biological Center as technical director.
Barbara Machak is the Acting Deputy Director of the U.S. Army Research, Development and Engineering Command. RDECOM is the Army’s key research, development and engineering organization.
The Army appointed Machak to the Senior Executive Service in June 2010 when she became the Executive Director for the Enterprise and Systems Integration Center (ESIC) within the Armaments Research, Development and Engineering Center (ARDEC) at Picatinny Arsenal, N.J.
In her regular position she is responsible for more than 600 people performing science
and technology planning, business development, and management of knowledge and human capital. In addition, her duties include maintaining and growing ARDEC’s core competencies in program management, system engineering, and logistics research and engineering.
She oversaw the Joint Small Arms Program and Army Fuze Management Office. She coordinated the Army’s armaments enterprise efforts with numerous Program Managers, Program Executive Offices, Defense Services, academia, and industry.
• June 2010 — June 2012: Executive Director for the Enterprise and Systems Integration Center, ARDEC, Picatinny Arsenal, NJ
• Mar 2003 — June 2010: Associate Technical Director for Systems Concepts and Technology, ARDEC, Picatinny Arsenal, NJ
• Jan 2001 — Feb 2003: Associate for Technology for Fire Support Armaments Center, ARDEC, Picatinny Arsenal, NJ
• Jan 1997 — Jan 2003: Chief of Crusader and Future Armaments Team, ARDEC, Picatinny Arsenal, NJ
• Feb 1996 — Dec 1996: Division Chief for Modeling and Simulation, ARDEC, Picatinny Arsenal, NJ
• Jan 1992 — Feb 1996: Project Armaments Engineer, ARDEC, Picatinny Arsenal, NJ
• Oct 1989 — Jan 1992: Senior Engineer for Project Manager in Nuclear Munitions, ARDEC, Picatinny Arsenal, NJ
• Executive Master of Science Degree in Technology Management, Stevens Institute of Technology, Hoboken, NJ — 2001
• Bachelor of Arts in Chemistry, Seton Hill University, Greensburg, PA — 1981
• Senior Executives Fellows Program, JFK School of Government, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA — 2004
• National Securities Studies, Maxwell School of Citizen and Public Affairs, Syracuse University, NY – 1998
• Army Acquisition Core level 3 certified in Systems Research Development and Engineering, and certified in Project Management
• Lean Six Sigma, Black Belt Certification — Completed 2005
AWARDS AND HONORS:
• Memorandum of Recognition from the Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Army for Acquisition, Logistics and Technology — 2003
• National Defense Industry Association Firepower Award — 2002
• St. Barbara’s Medal for Contributions to Field Artillery — 1997
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS:
• National Defense Industrial Association
• Women in Defense
• Association of the United States Army